Creative Borders and Bindings

Let me just start by saying borders and I rarely get along. We had a falling out years ago and have never totally made up. Every time we get together we end up fighting. It isn't a pretty sight most of the time. My relationship with bindings isn't really any better. 

 
Creative Borders and Binding Graphic.jpg
 

Ok, that is a bit dramatic, but I did cringe when I saw we were doing a Island Batik event around borders and bindings. These are my 2 least favorite parts of the quilting process. As far as borders go, some of it has to do with manipulating the larger units. The other reason is that my first run in with the quilt police was over a border. 

I played with a few ideas before settling on using one of my Hearts Medallion panels that was included in my last Ambassador box, and featured in this month's Quilty Box. They were designed by Leah Day and of course the purple I received went PERFECTLY with the Cherry Berry fabrics I had.

 
IMG_9087.JPG
 

Because I wanted to showcase the fabrics and not cut them into tiny pieces, the top was a large 27" block meant to showcase the fabrics. I took the time to mock up all 4 panel options (click on photos to enlarge) before sewing together the top. The choice was a difficult one because all the panels were so beautiful, and each added its own unique flare to the quilt top.

The next step was borders, since this challenge was all about borders (and binding I guess). Since I had a large number of sashing strips left over from my Cherries Jubilee project, I wanted to use them in this quilt. 

Cherries Jubilee Runner

Cherries Jubilee Runner

I played around with a couple of configurations and was torn between using 1 sashing strip on each edge, or 2. It took a couple of days of walking away and coming back to it before I made up my mind.

Since the sashing pieces were already pieced, and the square extended over the edge, the final set of borders was attached using a partial seam and then working around the quilt. It was an interesting experience attaching borders this way, and oddly a bit more fun then the normal way of attaching borders.

 
The first border had to be partially attached then the other borders were sewn on before the first one was finished.

The first border had to be partially attached then the other borders were sewn on before the first one was finished.

 

Now, since I needed pictures today, we had 2 hours to wait for the bus, the light was perfect, and my son was thrilled to help, we took a trip to the park. He was just the right height and a great quilt holder!